Friday, August 6, 2010

Return Of The Son Of The Sequel Of The Return Of The Revenge RIdes Again ... III!

To quote Jay Leno and his opinion on hollywood:


"We have three CSI series, twenty Star trek movies and TWENTY TWO James bond movies.This town is BUILT on new and innovative ideas!"


That might not have been the exact words but I think I got the key points in there.

Sequels are indeed odd little creatures aren't they? It seems that if a film does any bit of business, a follow-up is already being planned even before you have a chance to leave the movie theater. Actually no that's not true. These days, the film doesn't even have to do well or even really have any fans. Whether you want it or not, you are damn well gonna get another "not another movie".
I am, to some degree not really complaining. In my opinion if you like something why wouldn't want more of it?
Some people maintain that some movie franchises and tv series have been ruined by new additions that are not as strong as the film/season before it.

I agree that just because the first two films or seasons are great does not really mean everything that comes after will be gold.
My name is Earl is one of my favorite series.
First season: Great!
Second season: Fantastic!
Third season: WOW!
Forth season: Complete shit...

You know what my trick is? When watching the series, I just go ahead and don't watch the last season. As it turns out it's not very hard to not watch something.

Sci-fi is a very interesting thing as far as sequels are concerned.

Of course we have Star Wars which I think I'll leave alone because it's just far to obvious.
Star Trek however... I as you might know hail from U.S. where there are far more trekkies than here in Sweden.
I recall a party I was at a few years ago. Since I'm a kinda weird looking guy with dreads and a long beard, the christian republican chicks weren't going for me anyway so I decided to spend my time getting very drunk and listening to an exciting debate about the latest Star trek film.

What really struck me as interesting is the fact that in spite of being huge fans of the franchise they don't really seem to like it very much. They spent at least an hour talking about the various apparently very obvious shortcomings in the new film and also what was wrong with like the last TEN of them.
Seems like the joy of being a fan is this case is bitching about the thing one is supposedly a fan of...hmm.

I realize now that my original idea behind this post has been lost... Sorry, here's what I am trying to get it to:

I just watched the second film in the Millennium series called Flickan Som Lekte Med Elden .
A pretty decent and entertaining film all and all.

So what's gonna happen now?
Hollywood is taking it and making a more Hollywood friendly version.
I fucking hate when this happens.. We've have had like TWO swedish films that have really done well and both of them are being turned into a big Hollywood productions.
I see this happen all the time with films from other countries of course. I think I even recall some british film from a few years back that for some reason someone felt compelled to make an "american" version of..
To any american readers: You do know it's the same language right?

The two latest victims are of course
Låt den rätte komma in (which is now called "Let me in")
and
Män som hatar kvinnor(which is now "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo)

Hollywood is the the shitty cover band of the film industry. You know, the kind that plays way too loud and pretend to actually be the band they are covering.


But to be fair, we are actually getting yet another Zoolander so they're not all bad..

Sequels/reboots/remakes I could do without but regardless to my feelings are indeed on their merry way or already upon us:

Scream 4 (Enough said)
Nightmare On Elm Street (wtf is wrong with Robert Englund? Bring him back!)
Superman (For fucks sake.. pick a guy and just run with it!)
Friday The 13th 2 (but really it's a follow up to 2009s reboot of the series.. I think I have made my point)
Spider-Man ( Oh come on! The last one just came out three years ago... why do a reboot?)
Evil Dead ( Why tamper with perfection? I should point out that it is Sam Rami doing the reboot. So he is remaking he own movie...)
Dracula ( think this story has been..excuse the bad joke, done to death)
Yet another ...Of The Dead ( I know he invented the genre but that doesn't mean you can't screw up)
Titanic 3-D ( This idea really is ten types of stupid..)
Macgyver (NO! JUST NO! LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE!)
Magnum P.I. ( See above)


I am however looking forward to the Highlander and Pet Sematary remakes.
They have a chance of working.. maybe. I dunno.

That's it for now. I'm off to watch Schindler's List II

No comments:

Post a Comment